BMI is Bogus
“Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus” by Keith Devlin
This blog from 2009 outlines 10 reasons why BMI is flawed that we wished to share with our supporters. To read the full blog posting please click (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=share&utm_campaign=)
The blog by Keith Devlin lists his top 10 reasons including:
“1. The person who dreamed up the BMI said explicitly that it could not and should not be used to indicate the level of fatness in an individual.
2. It is scientifically nonsensical.
3. It is physiologically wrong.
4. It gets the logic wrong.
5. It’s bad statistics.
6. It is lying by scientific authority.
7. It suggests there are distinct categories of underweight, ideal, overweight and obese, with sharp boundaries that hinge on a decimal place.
8. It makes the more cynical members of society suspect that the medical insurance industry lobbies for the continued use of the BMI to keep their profits high.
9. Continued reliance on the BMI means doctors don’t feel the need to use one of the more scientifically sound methods that are available to measure obesity levels.
10. It embarrasses the U.S.”